Sunday, June 1, 2008

R&D Comics presents...

Several years ago, a short filmmaker contracted me to come up with some ideas for his next project. I cranked out about two dozen, one of which was the story of an old, retired superhero and his last stab at redemption. It was one of the least-formed of the lot, but it had tragic grace to it that I couldn't get out of my head. I put it away, hoping to make my own short film someday.

Then, a little over a year ago, I started going to Comic Artists Guild meetings at my local comic shop, the Comic Bug. There was some real talent in the group, but one artist blew my mind. In fact, she blew everyone's mind. There was an elegance to her work that immediately reminded me of my old superhero. I pitched Rikki my half-formed idea. She loved it and immediately started making sketches that had a depth far beyond anything I felt capable of writing. So I pushed myself, not doing what I typically do, which is to fall back on jokes and action when intimidated by emotion.

The Monocle and Jimmy Specs is the result. I don't say this very often, but I'm pretty proud of it.

Now that the book is done, we've started this blog to keep you up on our progress showing it to the world. It might just turn into a study on the characters or it might become a diary of how two of the world's worst self-promoters promote a comic book. Please stay tuned.

No comments: